It is common for women to suffer from annoying issues like yeast infections or thrush from time to time. These issues are caused by the bacteria candida albicans. Did you know that candida albicans may also be responsible for a host of other chronic illnesses?
Candida albicans is a fungus that naturally occurs in the body, but can multiply too rapidly and create an imbalance with other bacteria. This imbalance is called dysbiosis. Dysbiosis can result in many distressing symptoms and chronic illnesses in both women and men. We will discuss a few of these here, and share some natural remedies for controlling proliferation of candida albicans.
- IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
- Fatigue, including CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome)
- Brain Fog
- Celiac disease
- Behavioural Problems
- Mood Swings
These conditions may appear to be completely unrelated, but they all may have one thing in common: candida overgrowth could be the cause. Why is this? When Candida overgrowth occurs, toxins are released in the body. Any toxic substance in the body will adversely affect your health. It takes a great deal of energy for your body to combat the toxic effects, and fatigue may result.
Most prescribed antibiotics destroy the beneficial bacteria that keep candida albicans in check. While sinusitis is often attributed to a bacterial infection; it can also be caused by overgrowth of candida. Therefore, antibiotics (which are often prescribed) make the illness worse by furthering the imbalance of candida and healthy bacteria.
How do I Know if Candida is the Problem?
There is an easy and free home test to discover if you are dealing with candida overgrowth. Candida originates in the gut and affects mucus, saliva, and the tongue. It may even be visible in the mouth as a white coating.
What do you do if you suspect candida overgrowth? There are some natural remedies to restore the natural balance back to your body.
- Pau D’arco. Drink at least one cup of this anti-fungal herb tea per day.
- Oregano Oil. This potent oil contains phenols which are highly effective in combating bacterial and fungal infections. Oregano oil can be bought in capsule form, or take 3-6 drops in water each day.
- Black Walnut. This herb is known to have anti-parasitic and anti-fungal properties. Black Walnut hull extract can be taken in tincture form. Start with just 1 drop per day, increasing by 1 drop each day for five days. One to two teaspoons per week may be effective after that.
- Caprylic Acid. This supplement interferes with the cell walls of candida and thus is a powerful anti-fungal. Caprylic acid may be most effective in capsules. One dose of 600 mg twice per day with meals is recommended to aid in combating candida overgrowth. Coconut oil contains high amounts of caprylic acid. Up to three tablespoons per day can be effective.
- Probiotics. These are essential for rebalancing the flora and bringing a healthy balance of bacteria back to the gut.
- Garlic. Raw garlic kills many pathogens that disrupt the balance of bacteria. Some experts recommend one to two whole cloves twice per day consistently for best results. Supplements are also available.
- Diet changes. Candida loves a high carbohydrate, high sugar diet. Decrease or eliminate these foods while increasing lean protein and healthy fat intake. This will starve candida of its fuel. Lots of green vegetables will also give your body the nutrients it needs to fight Candida overgrowth. Learn more about the very helpful Candida Diet.
If after trying these natural remedies you still feel like your losing the battle against candida, take heart. It might be time to look at your diet. Our eBook: Better Health Through Good Nutrition: A User’s Guide is a great place to start.
However, you’ll experience faster, long lasting results by working one-on-one with a certified nutritionist. We can create a nutrition plan based on your unique needs and symptoms that will help you get rid of candida once and for all. Fill out this form to get started today. You won’t regret it.